Sunday, January 22, 2012

I Heart Martha!




For the past two years, my dad and step-mom have bought me the Martha Stewart magazine subscription as a gift....and I love it!  I actually get excited when I see it in the mail.  I have a process for looking through my magazine.  I dog ear all the pages that I want to remember for some reason or another....a recipe to try, a brilliant idea, a craft, etc.  Here's what I dog eared this month for the February issue:

-Page 4: Did you know that Random Acts of Kindness week is February 13th-19th?  I sure didn't.  I'm going to somehow incorporate this into my classroom.  And...there's a website: randomactsofkindness.org

-Page 6: Coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Salted Caramel....YUM!  I will be making these someday!

-Page 30: Theater in a Box.  Sounds fun, huh?  They show Cinderella and it comes with the scripts and masks.  I think Vivi will need this when she's old enough to read. :)  The website for that is: innovativekids.com  It says it's only $17...maybe my nephews would like this too!?

-Page 125: 3-D Valentine's Day cards (see picture above!)  I'm going to have my students make these.  I will probably have to make the 3-D part for them to cut out, but they can decorate and glue for sure!  Pretty cute!

-Page 131:  Toasted Country Bread with Hazelnut Pesto - Now I finally have something to do with those hazelnuts I have had in my pantry for forever!

-Page 139: Spreadable, Edible Butter in Seconds: Martha says that if you need room temperature butter quickly then you should microwave a stick of butter for 20 seconds, flipping it a quarter turn every 5 seconds.  Pinterest says you should grate your butter like cheese.  I tried this.  Yes, it worked, but it made a HUGE mess in the process.  The microwave thing sounds much easier.

So those are the helpful hints I got from this month's issue.  Can't wait for the next one!

1 comment:

  1. I loved that issue too... I want to have a sock hop like Jessie Randall (pg. 86). I have always loved her home!... Just wish I could afford her shoes!
    PS If you make those coconut cookies you have to save one for me!

    ReplyDelete