Sunday, December 9, 2012

So Glad I Went With My Gut....

The subway tile is in and I LOVE it!!!  I'm so glad I went with my gut, because it was right this time.  Frank even admits it too.  (I told you so!) ;)  I wish I had some pictures of the kitchen when we first moved in.  The previous owner had under-cabinet lighting, but had a white plug coming down in four different spots from the light to the plug.  It looked really tacky.  Not sure why anyone would do that?!?      Anyway, we spent about $250 for an electrician to properly install the lighting and attach it to one switch.  These are the before tile and after electrician pictures.




They purposely didn't repair the walls too much when they cut into them because they knew that we were going to put tile on it.  I stared at a cut sheetrock wall for about two weeks waiting on a tile guy to call me back.  When he didn't call back the second time I called, I called elsewhere.  The guys I found were able to do it the next day!  Now, that's what I'm talking about!


This was after the tile guys tiled.  They had to grout the next day.  I started second guessing my grout decision too.  I liked how you could see the dark between the tile and wasn't sure the white grout I picked would look good.  But...I went with my gut again, and the help my hubs and BFF, and stuck with the white.  



And here it is!  Have I mentioned that I LOVE it?!!?



Here's an up-close-and-personal pic.  I can't stop staring at it!


We still have a couple of minor things to do left.  We have to repair the wall to the left of the toaster where we pulled out the piece of granite.  Then we'll paint it the wall color.  I also want to take down the white blinds on the kitchen window.  I know that they are just fine and fit perfectly and probably weren't cheap.  However, I want to put a half-window curtain there like I had in my old house.  I like that in a kitchen.  I just need to find a good fabric.  I also think we're going to install some pendant lights above the island instead of canned lights and get a  globe chandelier for the dining room attached to the kitchen.  Still a work in progress, but SOOOOO nice already.  We spent about $150 on tile and grout (from Lowes, believe it or not!) and $350 on labor.  So, for roughly $750 we changed the entire look of our kitchen.  I can't wait to make some Christmas cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment