Monday, April 5, 2010

No Spoon Needed


There it is...the perfect coconut cream pie! I did it! It was not coconut cream soup! No spoon needed here. There were, however, a few little hiccups. Only a few cuss words were said, not too many. First of all, I used my new double boiler. This pretty much doubled the time for me because you had to fill up the entire pot and bring it to a boil on medium heat. The milk had to get to a scalding point and it took more than 3o minutes. Yikes! There is also another very common mistake when making an egg custard....sometimes if the milk is too hot when you add the egg yolks they scramble....just like scrambled eggs. Mine might have done this a little bit - hence the cuss words. However, I quickly grabbed my whisk and whisked out as much as I could. No one even noticed. Whew. All in all, it was a successful coconut cream pie. Only 364 more days until I make it again. Frank thinks if I made it more often it wouldn't be so difficult. Hmmm....

1 comment: